Yohanan Aharoni (1919-1976) was born in Germany and immigrated to Palestine in 1933. He was a founding member of Kibbutz Alonim, where he lived until 1947. From 1948 to 1950 he was in the Israeli armed forces. He began his public archeological career as Antiquities Inspector for Galilee, representing the Department of Antiquities of the newly founded State of Israel. In 1968 Aharoni moved to Tel Aviv University with the rank of full professor and chairman of the Department of Archeology and Ancient Near Eastern Cultures.