Rifat Odeh Kassis Aliases and/or alternative transliteration(s):
Note: this biography may be incomplete or out
of date. Extension/update suggestions are welcome.
Rifat Odeh Kassis is a Palestinian Christian from the village of Beit Sahour,
located on the outskirts of Bethlehem and Jerusalem. He currently serves as the president of International Executive
Council for Defence for Children International (DCI) and the General Director and founder (1992) of the Palestine
section; in 2005 he was elected President of the international movement. An active human rights and political and
community activist, he was arrested and imprisoned several times by Israel. He is coordinator of Kairos Palestine, an umbrella organization of Palestinian Christians of various denominations that was founded in 2009 to explain, primarily to fellow Christians, what Israel's occupation is all about.
- In 1995 he helped to establish a rehabilitation programme in Chechnya targeting Chechen children who have been
injured and traumatized in the war.
- In 1996 he left Palestine to work in Central Asia for several years, helping to develop the NGO sector there.
- In 2004, Kassis was one of the main actors in the formation of the Palestine National Coalition for Christian
Organizations, and he has recently coordinated the creation and release of the Palestine Kairos Document, a call made
by Palestinian Christians to end Israeli colonization of Palestine.
- World Council of Churches (WCC) -- Geneva where he was the International Coordinator of Ecumenical Accompaniment Programme in Palestine and Israel (EAPPI).
- Alternative Tourism Group (ATG) – co-founder (2005)
- East Jerusalem YMCA – former Executive Director
- Alternative Information Center – Board of Directors (2008)
See this Wikipedia (English) article
Events involving Rifat Odeh Kassis
Material in this database by Rifat Odeh Kassis
Number of articles: 21