Ziad Abu Ain

Note: this biography may be incomplete or out of date. Extension/update suggestions are welcome.

Ziad Abu Ain ... was perhaps the most famous detainee in Israel in the mid-190s , having been extradited there from the US in 1981 after a long and controversial court battle. He was supposed to be part of a prisoner release in November 1983 but was taken off the bus containing those who were about to be released. In 2009, he was a deputy minister in the Palestinian government in the West Bank.

At lunchtime on 15 April 2002, at the height of the second intifada, Israeli special forces tracked Marwan Barghouti to Abu Ain's house in Ramallah and arrested him.

James Dorsey reports (1984): [1]

Israel reneged on its part of the exchange deal with the PLO by taking three prisoners off airport-bound buses and returning them to their cells in Israeli jails, according to affidavits given by the prisoners to Jerusalem lawyer Felicia Langer. Ziad Abu Ain, a young Palestinian serving a life sentence for alleged involvement in a bomb incident, Mohammed Sa'adallah and Akram Aware, crewmen on a ship stopped on the high seas by Israel in August of this year, were all included in the list of prisoners the PLO wanted released according to reports from both sides of the deal.

Abu Ain describe in his affidavit how on 23 November he and 12 other prisoners from Nafha jail in the Negev were taken to meet Red Cross officials, told of the terms of the PLO-Israel exchange and signed releasing agreeing to go to Algeria. After completing release procedures Abu Ain and his colleagues were put on a parked bus. "Afterwards Israeli soldiers entered the bus and called my name, ordering me to leave the bus," he said. He was taken by car, blindfolded and handcuffed, to Ben Gurion airport in a convoy of buses carrying other prisoners, and then driven back to Nafha.

Ziad Abu Ain is perhaps the most famous detainee in Israel, having been extradited there from the US in 1981 after a long and controversial court battle. He was convicted of planting a bomb in the Galilee town of Tiberias at Tel Aviv court in 1982 and sentenced to life imprisonment. The evidence against him consisted mainly of confessions from two other detainees, both of whom later retracted their statements saying they were extracted under torture. Abu Ain has consistently denied any involvement in the bombing.

According to reliable sources, the Red Cross, which refuses to comment publicly on issues concerning Israeli-held prisoners, is very angry about the Abu Ain case. The French government, which was a party to the exchange, is also involved in efforts to get the prisoners freed. Senior army officers deny involvement in breaking the agreement, raising speculation that there could have been a feud over the exchange in political or military circles. West Bank reports say that the reason the exchange was delayed so long was because the Israelis refused Yasser Arafat's demand that Abu Ain be freed. Former Israeli Justice Minister Shmuel Tamir, who headed the Israeli negotiating team at the exchange talks, denies involvement in "operational details." In the affidavits they signed in front of Israeli prison officials, all three prisoners called their treatment a violation of the deal Israel made with the PLO
Events involving Ziad Abu Ain:

What others say about Ziad Abu Ain

Database materials explicitly marked as discussing this entity

    Number of articles: 2

List materials which discuss this entity
Find database material containing this entity's name

There may be materials which mention this entity's name but which are not explicitly marked as discussing the entity.

Find materials containing all the words in this entity's name

Find materials containing this entity's name as an exact phrase


Look for this entity's name in Google

Look for this entity's name in Google Images

See this entity's name transliterated/translated into Arabic

See this entity's name transliterated/translated into Hebrew