announcement that a soldier will face charges over Bloody Sunday killings

announcement that a soldier will face charges over Bloody Sunday killings

Date: Thursday, 14 Mar 2019
 
<<Previous day                 ^This day                 Next day >>

This article, dated 14 March 2019, says:

One former British paratrooper is to be charged in connection with the killings of civil rights demonstrators in Northern Ireland on Bloody Sunday in January 1972.

Northern Ireland’s Public Prosecution Service (PPS) announced the decision after relatives of the 13 people who died on one of the darkest days of the Troubles marched together through the streets of Derry where the victims fell.

The director of public prosecutions for Northern Ireland, Stephen Herron, said: “It has been concluded that there is sufficient available evidence to prosecute one former soldier, Soldier F, for the murder of James Wray and William McKinney, and for the attempted murders of Joseph Friel, Michael Quinn, Joe Mahon and Patrick O’Donnell.

“In respect of the other 18 suspects, including 16 former soldiers and two alleged Official IRA members, it has been concluded that the available evidence is insufficient to provide a reasonable prospect of conviction.”

This article, dated 14 March 2019, says:

We’re coming up on the one-year anniversary of the first Friday’s march in Gaza. Thousands will memorialize that day. Let us hope the Israeli soldiers have read the news from Northern Ireland.

This article, dated 15 March 2019, says:

In November 2016, the PSNI sent a file on the matter to the DPP. This file identified the actions of 20 individuals for consideration as to whether they had committed criminal offences.

Of these, 18 individuals were former members of the British army’s Parachute Regiment, one of whom has since died. The two other people reported were allegedly then members of the Official IRA.

The findings of the Saville inquiry established that in many instances the persons involved had been responsible for “unjustified killings”. This inevitably raised expectations that there would be prosecutions.

However, having carefully reviewed each of the cases, the Public Prosecution Service for Northern Ireland (PPS) determined that only one of the soldiers – identified as Soldier F – should face trial.

Yesterday, the PPS took the unusual step of publishing a detailed written set of reasons for its decision on the cases. That document runs to 13 pages. It is complex and legal in its language at times but it sets out the basis given for the decisions in relation to the shootings which occurred at each of the relevant locations on the day.


Material about this event in the database


Number of related articles: 8
Number of related maps: 0
Number of related audio/visual clips: 0
Number of related quotations: 0

           


To refer someone else to this item, use this URL:           http://www.corkpsc.org/db.php?eid=11928



A disclaimer applies to this page. This page is not part of the official UCC website. This page is part of a research database of opinions on Palestine and related topics which is maintained by members of the UCC Palestine Solidarity Campaign, which comprises a group of students and staff in the university. The emphasis in this research project is on provenance -- we aim to provide as much information as possible on the background of the people whose opinions are in the database, so that readers can make up their own minds on the credibility that they wish to attach to these opinions.