Note:Al Ma'sara is a Palestinian village in Bethlehem Governorate located 6.2km south-west of Bethlehem City. Al Ma'sara is bordered by Khallet Al Haddad village to the east, Wadi Rahhal village to the north, Jurat ash Sham'a village to the west, and Marah Ma'alla village to the south.
Since 1996, Al Ma'sara has been governed by a village council which is currently administrated by seven members appointed by the Palestinian Authority. There are no employees working in the council. The village council has a permanent headquarters which it rents.
The name Al Ma'sara, which means 'a press,' came from the Roman Byzantine olive press that still remains in the village. Al Ma'sara village dates back to 1930, and its residents originate from the tribes of Az Zawahra and At Ta'amra.
According to the Palestinian Central Bureau of Statistics (PCBS), the total population of Al Ma'sara in 2007 was 803; 429 of whom are males and 374 of whom are females. There are 129 households living in 136 housing units.
The economy in Al Ma'sara is dependent on several economic sectors, mainly: the agriculture sector, which absorbs 70 percent of the village workforce (See Figure1). The results of a field survey for the distribution of labor by economic activity in Al Ma'sara are the following:
- Agriculture Sector (70%)
- Government or Other Employees Sector (16%)
- Industry (5%)
- Israeli Labor Market (5%)
- Trade Sector (4%)
The inhabitants of Al Ma'sara village are composed of several families, mainly: Alaa ed Deen, Brijieh, Abu Al Adas, and Salah.
- ARIJ town profile
Wikimapia: See this place in Wikimapia
See this place in a dynamic Google map
See the location of this place in a static overview map
Wikipedia: See a description of this place in Wikipedia
Palestine Remembered: See data about this place in Palestine Remembered